Sunday, June 26, 2011

Got Audio? (Audio Sharing)


Chapter 11
Safko, The Social Media Bible

Safko spends much of Chapter 11 explaining how iTunes and Podbean work. The reason businesses should get involved is fairly narrow and simple: to create a conversation with customers and prospects. This can help create the perception that the business is an expert in the field. Word of mouth among customers and prospects can create more prospects, and potentially more customers. It makes a lot of sense. Low cost, potentially good ROI.

This was a learning experience about iTunes, which previously I knew as the software that manages my iPod. And sometimes I use it to create mix CDs. But it has capabilities that I wasn’t aware of: the ways in which media files can be managed and organized; the ability to stream internet radio; the strong degree of integration with QuickTime, iLife and other Mac applications. (Have I mentioned that  I am about 95 percent PC and 5 percent Mac when it comes to computer use? I am a PC user except when I need to edit video, basically.) And I’ve never considered creating a podcast, so I had no idea how easy it is to upload them via iTunes. My perception was that a potential podcaster had to submit them for approval or something,or perhaps pay.

And Podbean sounds free and easy. Definitely a subject for further study.

Actually, this chapter has left me with a project to set up a podcast with some ready-made content that could use wider distribution than it’s currently getting. As a communications person with UNL Extension, one of the things I do is record audio files consisting of 30-second lawn and garden tips from UNL Master Gardeners, volunteers trained by Extension who then share their expertise with others. From April to September each year, I work with volunteers to record five 30-second Public Service Announcements per week. These are then e-mailed to radio stations throughout western Nebraska.

I also used to upload the PSAs to the Panhandle Research and Extension Center web site, simply creating a link to each audio file so site visitors could play listen to them. But since a reorganization of web sites in IANR, this hasn’t been an option. The obvious alternative would be to create podcasts with these tips, probably grouping five at a time (a total of 2 ½ to 3 minutes) into one podcast. These can be uploaded weekly via iTunes or Podbean, and promoted via the Panhandle Research and Extension Center web site, as well as Facebook and other methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment